Republic of Dýria
Lýðveldið Dýria (Dýrian)
Poblacht na Díria (Gaeilandic)
Lýðveldi Dýria (Sjólandic)
Republik Diria (Brittonic)
"Eining í fjölbreytileka."(Dýrian)
(Everish:"Unity in diversity")
"Gamalt land feðra minna"(Dýrian)
(Everish:"Old land of my fathers")
|File:Location Map Dýria.png|
and largest city
|Recognised regional languages||Cymrian|
|Religion||72% No affiliation|
|Government||Unitary parliamentary republic|
• Leader of the Opposition
• Ceann Comhairle
|Piarás Ó Murchú|
• Independence from Decoria
|26 August 1918|
• Establishment as the Republic of Dýria
|1 December 1918|
|70,020 km2 (27,030 sq mi) (116th)|
• 2023 estimate
|18/km2 (46.6/sq mi) (140th)|
|Currency||Nordo (₦) (NOR)|
Dýria (Dýrian and Sjólandic: Dýria, Gaeilandic: An Díria, Brittonic: Diria) officially Republic of Dýria (Dýrian: Lýðveldið Dýria, Gaeilandic: Poblacht na nDíria, Sjólandic: Lýðveldi Dýria, Brittonic: Republik Diria) is a sovereign state in the north of Wulfor. It covers an area of 70,020 square kilometres and is inhabitated by approximately 1,260,357 inhabitants. Its capital and largest city is Dyflinnjaborg.
Dýria is a unitary parliamentary republic. The current President in office is Ingibjörg Egilsdóttir. First elected in 2016 and then unopposed in 2021, she is currently serving her second term as president. As per the constitution, she cannot seek a third term and her second term will expire in May 2026.
The current Taoiseach (Gaeilandic for Prime Minister) in power is Sinéad Kýosdóttir, who is the leader of the Dýrian Democratic Party, which currently holds the most seats for one single party in the Alþingi. The president is able to appoint the Tánaiste (Gaeilandic for Deputy Prime Minister) on the advice of the Taoiseach. The current Tánaiste is Caitríona Arnarsdóttir, the leader of the second most powerful party, An Comhaontas Glas, or the Greens in Everish. The Dýrian Democratic Party, An Comhaontas Glas and People's Party of Dýria are currently in a coalition government. The Dýrian legislature is the Alþingi, which has 106 seats available. The current leader of the opposition is Fañch Ragnarsson, the leader of Diria d'Ar Vretoned. As of 2023, due to an increase in population, the number of seats in the Alþingi is likely to change. These changes are likely to take place between the years 2023 and 2024, in time for the next Dýrian election.
In addition to elected TDs, one seat is reserved for the Ceann Comhairle or speaker of the Alþingi. The current Ceann Comhairle is Piarás Ó Murchú, who is a member of the Dýrian Democratic Party (DDP). As he will be automatically returned, his home constituency of North Dyflinnjaborg will only elect 5 TDs instead of 6.
Elections are typically held every 4 years, however in certain circumstances, snap elections may be held. The last election to be held in the country was in 2022.
Dýria is a member of the United Nations of Fantasia and the Northern Union.
Social Policies and Laws
- You become a legal adult at age 18.
- You can obtain a driver's license at age 16.
- The age of consent is 16.
- The legal age of marriage is 18.
- Capital punishment is not used.
- Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide are legal.
- Pornography is legal with age restriction.
- Gambling is illegal.
- The legal voting age is 16 as of September 11th 2020 after a successful referendum on August 20th 2020 to lower the voting age. The referendum result was officially recognized by President Egilsdóttir and was signed into law. The referendum was passed with 56.7% voting yes, and 43.3% voting no.
- People of all Genders, Religions, Social Classes, and Education level have the right to vote.
- Individuals are required to be citizens to vote.
- Those with criminal records are permitted to vote.
- One must be 25 years old to run for public office.
- Technically, only Dýrian citizens are allowed to vote. However provisions are made for anyone who has been a permanent resident in the country for 5 years or more who has not obtained citizenship yet. These people can register with their local council to vote (provided they have the right documentation) and these are included in the electorate.
- Also on September 11th 2020, the president approved the results of the successful referendum on allowing Dýrians abroad to vote in presidential elections on August 20th 2020. The referendum was won with 66.8% voting yes, and 33.2% voting no. Therefore, Dýrians abroad will be able to vote in the 2021 presidential election.
- In Dýria, only members of the police force can obtain a weapons license and must be 18 years and older.
- Alcohol (<15% by volume) is legal and restricted for those 18 years and older.
- Alcohol (>15% by volume) is legal and restricted for those 18 years and older.
- Nicotine and Tobacco products are legal and restricted for those 18 years and older.
- Cannabis is legal and restricted for those 18 years and older. The drug can still be used for medicinal use as well. On 11th September 2020, President Ingibjörg Egilsdóttir recognized the results of the 3 referendums held on 20th August 2020, one of which voters voted on making cannabis legal for recreational use. The referendum was passed with 61.5% voting yes, and 38.4% voting no. Despite being legal, it will be heavily regulated by the Alþingi.
- In Dýria, abortion is legal and there is no social stigma towards it except for in some rural communities.
- Costs are covered by the state.
- Abortion is legal up to 20 weeks from conception.
- Abortion is legal in the case of fetal defects.
- Abortion is legal in the case of rape and where the mother's life may be threatened.
- Abortion is regulated by the state. Only public hospitals are allowed to perform it and are obliged by law to give extra counselling/therapy to women in order to deal with the abortion.
- Same sex activity is legal in Dýria, and there is no social stigma towards the LGBT community.
- The age of consent for same sex intercourse is the same as heterosexual intercourse.
- The LGBT community has the freedom of expression.
- The LGBT community is protected by law from discrimination.
- The LGBT community has the right to marry and can adopt children with the same rights as heterosexual couples.
- Changing one's gender is legal. Three genders are recognized by law.
- There are no armed forces in Dýria.
Freedom of Speech
- Freedom of speech is granted to all citizens constitutionally.
- It is legal to criticize the government.
- Online speech falls under Freedom of Speech.
- Laws concerning hate speech do exist.
- Laws concerning the incitement of violence do exist.
- The press is considered as almost completely free.
- There is minimal censorship online by the government.